Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Couch Surfing

I'm finally doing it. I'm going to surf someone's couch in Busan!

www.couchsurfing.org... check it!

So, I've always been intrigued by this whole idea and I have always wanted to participate. I signed up while living in Rancho Cucamonga and nobody wants to hang out in Rancho Cucamonga. I was also living with Steph and Adam so that wasn't ideal.

Anyway, I came to Korea and was really stoked to put my couch on the site so that people could come stay. Then life happened... you know, boyfriends don't want their girlfriends having strangers sleeping on their couch. Well now, the fate of my CouchSurfing history is in my hands! I changed my couch status to available and waited for the requests to flood in. Alright, I didn't expect the requests to flood in because I live in a really inconvenient area of Seoul and I explicitly stated that on my profile so that people will know what to expect. I've gotten 2 requests. One was a mistake... lol... they thought I lived in GwangJu. And the other is a French dude who is coming in June and might stay, but we'll see. Mom and Dad, don't worry.

So, as for me actually riding these waves, I am going to stay in Busan on June 10th to the 13th and I am surfing 2 couches. Well, technically 1 couch and 1 blow up mattress. :) There are 2 girls who seem to be quite active in the CouchSurfing community who have both accepted my request to use their facilities. I'll be at one place on Thursday night and one place on Friday and Saturday night. I'm excited to meet some new people and to travel on my own!

What is the best part of CouchSurfing is really meeting new people from all over the world. Recently, I have met some people for dinner and such and it was all initiated through Nathalie, an exchange student from Sweden, sending me a random message. I have met some awesome people so far and I hope to continue to meet more. I have not met another English teacher yet, which is actually a little refreshing. Usually all of the foreigners in Seoul are either English teachers or G.I.s.

I look forward to meeting plenty of new people through CouchSurfing and making tons of memories along the way! Here's a picture of my couch... wouldn't you want to surf it? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment